Fabricator Sees Efficiency Gains & Increased Visibility with Jovix
With a goal of proactive and predictive material and process control, this multi-site fabricator is digitizing their data collection through RFID tags and barcodes, with mobile hardware, and providing unique services to their clients through real-time status reports and downstream material tracking. Through integrating Jovix with their scheduling software, ERP tool, and engineering BOMs, the fabricator is setting themselves apart from their competition through unprecedented visibility into fabrication processes while enhancing collaboration and communication with workface planning tools of the EPC firms and prime contractors.
This fabricator has three facilities across the eastern U.S., with business units in industrial construction, pipe fabrication, modular fabrication, fire protection, and engineering services. There are 800+ employees, 8,000+ clients worldwide, and a history of 20,000+ projects. Their mission is to increase productivity without sacrificing safety standards.
Pain Points in the Traditional Fabricator Workflow
In recent years, this fabricator has experienced unprecedented growth and therefore required a proven Material Readiness system to control expanding business.
Specific issues in the traditional processes included inaccurate inventory and shop floor control caused by:
- Disparate spreadsheets for inventory
- Shop floor control run on disparate spreadsheets
- Spreadsheets lacked visibility and consistency, causing data silos
They needed a resolution that would provide visibility and transparency internally and externally.
Efficiency & Visibility
The fabricator and Jovix have worked together on the following set of solutions to improve productivity, efficiency, and accuracy in their processes:
- Remove paper-based systems
- Automate status activities for spools
- Create single source for material inventory information
- Unite all three shops on a single system for tracking and locating
- Remove single shop systems
- Provide visibility for corporate leadership into material network
- Offer unique service to their clients by:
- Pulling status reports on specific materials
- Attaching RFID tags to spools and modules for downstream tracking
Where Does Jovix Fit Into Their Processes?
Scheduling software P6 feeds into Sage ERP system, which sends material information into Jovix. Jovix is also populated with Engineering Bills of Material (BOMs) from Plant Design Suite, Navisworks, Solidworks, and Acorn Pipe Systems.
The Four-Phase Implementation
Phase 1 – Server transactions, material availability, and allocating. This is accomplished through consumption of source fabricator and client spool data; ISO and spool drawing data structures; Purchase Order tracking; inventory management; and material receiving.
Phase 2 – Mobile hardware, mobile transactions, and barcoding. Supported by mobile receiving, inventory management, mobile picking and issuing, mobile barcoding of inventory, and mobile barcoding of pipe.
Phase 3 – Automation hardware and automatic fabrication testing through installing and testing of automated hardware such as:
- Facility gate readers
- Facility RFID loop markers
- Material RFID tag attachment and reads
- Automatically updating spool status by fabrication loop process and location
Phase 4 – Business Intelligence (BI) and reporting through:
- Continuous business requirement gathering from Phases 1-3
- Jovix BI development and mock-up
- Jovix BI validation and roll-out
- Proactive and predictive material and process control
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Dashboards
- Management by exception, to correct issues before they become problems that impact schedule
- Mistake-proof processes through digitized data collection, and elimination of paper-based, error-prone processes
This multi-site U.S. fabricator has seen efficiency gains and increased visibility into their processes made possible through the use of digitized material data and a collaborative workspace that adds value upstream into construction projects.
Want to learn more?
Reach out to schedule a demo.